How can I find good copywriting jobs?

jasminehenry

I often see this question, but it's not the right one.

The correct question is:

How do I find good copywriting clients?

This distinction matters. A lot. Whenever I search for work - whether on Fiverr, Upwork, job boards, LinkedIn, or through offline networking - I focus on evaluating the client, not the job.

Jobs come and go, but good clients stick around for years, sometimes decades. They also bring valuable referrals.

Most of my work now comes from referrals or repeat clients. I still search for work, and it's a habit every freelancer should maintain. But your mindset while looking is crucial.

Here are a few practical tips:

1. Never accept a lower rate with the promise of "more work in the future."

A client who values your work will pay well from the start. Clients who don't pay well never will and often use this line to bait you.

2. Never quote prices or timelines until you know exactly what the client wants.

If they ask for editing, always get an example. Misunderstanding expectations can ruin a good long-term relationship.

3. Meet all new clients by phone, Zoom, or in person.

Get a sense of whether you have "business chemistry" with them. This is key to maintaining long-term relationships.

4. Look for clients who value your insights as much as your writing.

Clients who are open to your advice make the best long-term partners. The writing industry is saturated, but you'll be paid well if your client sees you as an expert.

Some clients won't care about your advice. Don't work with them. Ever. You're not a psychologist, and you won't change their minds. Keep your schedule open for clients who respect your expertise.

Finally, become a better copywriter.

Work on it every day.

Never get complacent.

There's no substitute for competence.

Back