How did you learn to solve physics problems?

leahwillis

How do I start solving unfamiliar physics problems? I usually learn by looking at solutions and then solving similar problems, but I feel like that's memorization, not understanding.

Don't just memorize formulas and plug in values. Instead, visualize the situation and write down the relevant equations from scratch, even for textbook formulas.

Distinguish between definitions and derived results. Start from the definition to derive the formula you need, observing where natural laws come in. Consider how the result might change if the law were different or approximate.

This approach helps you keep the connection between the physical picture and the equations in mind. It might require a few extra algebraic steps, but it's worth it because it enables you to tackle new problems without memorizing too many formulas.

When determining a quantity, question why it can't be more or less than the given answer. Consider what physical variables affect the quantity and set up equations based on that picture.

If you have a specific problem, we can suggest a general approach to problem-solving.

Mostly practice. Not just solving problems, but also understanding concepts. You keep trying until you break through. Over time, you'll learn to approach new concepts from different angles, making them easier to understand. For problems, you'll learn to view them from different perspectives, allowing you to try various solutions and reach the same result.

What you're doing is common. However, when you look at a solution, make sure you understand it fully, rather than just copying the steps for similar problems. Many students start by learning from solutions, but it's important to move beyond that.

Be thorough with the theory, understanding the implications, significance, applicability, and limitations of the equations. Develop your own way of thinking to solve problems. If you always look at the solutions, you might feel they are obvious in hindsight. Train your mind to tackle problems independently. This will take time, but it will help you gain confidence and insight into physics problems.

Good luck!

Back