What is the typical way to become a copywriter?

proctornatasha

Does it seem like most successful copywriters were Marketing majors? I'm aware a degree isn't necessary, but my question is a bit different. If you're a copywriter who was also a Marketing major, did you take a specific course on copywriting?

As an English major, I didn't have a course like that. I've also taught in higher education for over 20 years and never saw a dedicated copywriting course offered in any program, whether Marketing, Psychology, English, or another degree. Is copywriting included in a Marketing degree, possibly under a different name? If not, how do people become copywriters? Is it just a mix of natural talent and hard work?

I'm just beginning to learn copywriting (through Coursera, Reddit, LinkedIn Learning, etc.) because I want to transition from teaching to fully remote work. I need to move to another state and need a more marketable career. I've noticed that many core concepts of writing copy are similar to what’s taught in an English degree - like understanding your audience, engaging readers from the start, and writing to persuade. Still, copywriting is unique and, in my opinion, should be offered as a separate course. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

There isn’t a typical path.

That might not sound helpful, but it’s true. Most copywriters don’t have marketing degrees. In fact, many well-known copywriters, and some I know personally, don’t have a degree at all.

Many started in sales and moved into copywriting.

For every person who paid for an expensive course, there’s someone just as successful who learned from free online guides and began pitching clients.

I’d say more successful copywriters start without taking courses than those who do.

People who start with courses often look for a quick fix. They tend to do the bare minimum and give up quickly, sometimes within the first few weeks.

On the other hand, those who dive in without much knowledge focus more on gaining experience and practicing. They understand that mastering a skill takes time and effort.

These two approaches are very different.

That’s not to say you shouldn’t take a course if it’s good. Just make sure your work ethic is solid before you begin.

I've noticed that copywriting has some interesting and sometimes frustrating similarities with fiction writing:

The more you do it, the more you realize there's no one right way to do it.

Sure, there are things you definitely shouldn’t do. Bad grammar will ruin everything. Ignoring certain rules of style will turn people off. But beyond that, it’s like the Wild West - just you, your skills, and your instincts.

You’ll meet plenty of people who will tell you how you should do things. They’ll claim to have everything figured out and promise to teach you how to succeed at every turn. (They’re usually selling you something questionable...)

But then there are honest folks who’ll teach you useful skills, like how to improve your aim or build a better campfire. They’ll admit that nobody has it all figured out - some parts, sure, but not the whole thing.

I took a copywriting course when I was 22, and I also bought some extra books to study. That was in 2006-2007, and copywriting was different back then - direct mail was still a big deal.

I didn’t start a serious copywriting business until 2021. Long story.

Looking back, I could have managed without the course, but it gave me some guidance. It saved me from making some mistakes. It didn’t give me a complete picture, but it boosted my confidence. And when you’re starting out, confidence is key.

But don’t let anyone tell you they have it all figured out.

Even if you write copy for every industry and style, your work will still be judged by the client. And that’s where logic and rules don’t always apply. You can write perfect copy, and the client might reject it for any number of reasons.

Now, I’m a freelance copywriter, self-employed after side-hustling for a year, mostly through Fiverr. I have no special degrees, and I failed at word-of-mouth sales when I tried it.

So if I can do it, anyone can. I’m amazed at how good the free content is out there. If you take the time to bookmark 10-15 YouTube videos on copywriting, take notes, and practice what you learn, you could be ready to start pitching clients quickly.

That’s one of the great things about living in the internet age.

Back