Should I use straight or cursive handwriting? Does cursive put me at a disadvantage?

aliafortin

I'm trying to decide between straight handwriting and cursive. Which one is better? Could using cursive put me at a disadvantage? I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences!

Write in the style that comes naturally to you.

It’s that simple.

I know some people struggle to read cursive, which can be a downside.

My handwriting used to be very neat and easy to read. But after writing long manuscripts by hand, I realized that as long as I can read it, the appearance doesn’t matter.

Now, my handwriting looks messy and shaky, but it’s still readable to others, and that’s what counts.

Cursive may seem like just another way of writing, but studies show it activates different brain pathways than typing or regular writing. Reading cursive also engages different parts of the brain compared to printed text. One study found that information presented to the left side of the brain resulted in fewer errors than when presented to the right side. However, when reading cursive, the difference was smaller, meaning the right side of the brain is more involved in reading cursive than printed text.

Cursive helps you remember more

Studies suggest that taking handwritten notes in class is better than typing. When we type, we can almost copy speech word for word. But when we write by hand, we have to be more selective, forcing the brain to decide what’s important to write down. This level of brain involvement makes the information "stick" better than when we type it out.

Back