Copywriting. Arm yourself with the knowledge needed to move people with words and you will need little else to make and save a ton of money.
Regardless of which industry you’re in, when you need to effectively sell a product or service (or even an idea), copywriting is how you do it.
Your copy is your salesman, one that can directly determine the success of your website, marketing campaigns, and company.
However, not every business can afford to hire a professional copywriter.
The good ones usually come with a hefty price tag, plus, they are often booked way in advance.
What’s the solution?
Write your own amazing copy!
Sure, there is a learning curve involved, but any time or money you invest will be well worth it.
To help you get started, here’s a huge list containing some of the best (mostly free, but some paid) copywriting resources on the web.
You may want to bookmark this one;)
Feel free to add to the list in the comments.
Copywriting Websites & Blogs
1. Copyblogger – One of the best free copywriting resources on the web. Explore this site if you want to learn how to create (and market) content that engages and converts.
2. The Copywriter’s Crucible – Freelance copywriter Matt Ambrose covers blogging, content marketing, and all things copy.
3. Copy Hackers – A great place to learn how to effectively write conversion copy. Find tips, training, and lots of other information here.
4. The Copywriter’s Roundtable – Expert direct response copywriter John Forde talks web copywriting, sales science, selling psychology, and more.
5. Copywrite Matters – A website about where you can some of the most effective copywriting tips and techniques that actually work.
6. Nick Usborne – Copywriting veteran Nick Usborne helps freelancers and businesses improve their writing skills through articles, books, programs, etc.
7. The Rant – Renowned John Carlton, mentor to many successful writers and marketers, rants and spills beans of copy writing wisdom.
8. SEO Copywriting – Heather Lloyd-Martin helps businesses master the latest SEO content creation strategies – and make more money.
9. ContentVerve – Michael Lykke Aagaard’s ContentVerve is all about content, copy, and conversion. A lot of valuable how-to posts and info on this site.
10. Unbounce – A conversion marketing blog packed with information on landing pages, conversion rate optimization, email marketing, and more.
11. Make a Living Writing – Looking to earn a living as a professional writer? Check out award-winning Carol Tice’s blog for expert tips and advice.
12. The Gary Halbert Letter – If mastering copywriting is your goal, sign up to Gary Halbert’s free newsletter. Be sure to check out his website archive.
13. ABC Copywriting – Want to make your content sing, dance, and sell? Here, you’ll find dozens of quality posts that can arm you with the knowledge you need.
14. The Well-Fed Writer Blog – Author and commercial freelancer Peter Bowerman shows you how to go from starving writer to well-paid copywriter.
15. Direct Creative – Well-known Dean Rieck offers no-nonsense direct response copywriting tips, tricks, and advice.
16. Jeff Sexton Writes – Start reading what Jeff Sexton writes in his blog to really hone your persuasion skills and start writing copy like a pro.
17. Harrison Amy Copywriting – Amy Harrison teaches businesses how to copywrite things that people actually read. Some quality resources on this website.
18. Marketing Bullets – Gary Bencivenga’s “bullets” are gold. As a copywriter and content marketer, you may find yourself referring back to them often.
19. Words That Begin With You – Justin Lambert’s content marketing blog offers copywriting insights that are relevant and useful. Worth checking out.
20. Ben Settle – Ben Settle is all about sales, and he knows how to make them. If you want to learn how to write butt-kicking emails and cash-sucking copy, follow his blog.
Starter Guides – Articles/E-books/Infographics
21. The Definitive Guide to Copywriting – An A-Z guide by Quick Sprout that teaches you everything you need to know about writing and optimizing persuasive copy.
22. Copywriting 101 – This free e-book by Copyblogger covers all the basics of copywriting in 10 easy steps. Perfect for newbies just starting out.
23. 101 Copywriting Dos & Don’ts – An excellent list of copy writing yays and nays geared toward unversed small businesses and startups.
24. Free Copywriting Worksheets – Another great Copy Hackers resource. Find worksheets here for all kinds of things related to business copywriting.
25. How People Read Online – Understanding how people read online (based on research) is important if you’re writing for the web. This infographic shows you that.
26. Copywriting Cheat Sheet – An embeddable cheat sheet infographic that covers the basics of writing copy for email, social media, and the web.
27. Free Copywriting Swipe File – Every smart copywriter has a bag of tricks (aka swipe file). Here’s one for you, courtesy of young entrepreneur Steve Fabian.
28. The 6 + 1 Model For Effective Copywriting – What’s missing in the classic AIDA formula? Danny Iny sheds some light and provides a method of his own.
29. 9 Sure-Fire Copywriting Formulas to Grow Your Audience – Speaking of copywriting formulas, here are 9 others you should know about.
31. 41 Classic Copywriting Headline Templates – Effective copywriters understand the importance of crafting powerful headlines. These templates are inspired by some of the best in the biz.
32. Writing Headlines That Get Results – Copyblogger founder Brian Clark imparts some headline writing wisdom and shares anecdotes, facts, and guidelines.
33. How to Write Magnetic Headlines – Learn how to get people to your content with this free 11-part, 56-page crash course in headline writing.
34. Can You Write a Better Headline Than This? – Well can you? If not, you may want to adopt Bnonn’s very sensible SHINE formula.
35. 9 Steps to Write Your Ultimate Home Page Headline – As Joanna emphasizes in this post, a few words could be all that stands between you and homepage conversions.
36. How to Write Brilliant Headlines for SEO, Social & Your Readers – Danny Goodwin outlines the goals of awesome headlines and analyzes 13 popular ones.
37. The Ultimate Guide To Writing Incredible Headlines – A neatly broken down guide that includes concise information and a number of useful resource links.
38. Write Great Headlines – Bourn Creative helps you understand different types of headlines and demonstrates how 1 headline can quickly be turned into 30.
39. 5 Data Insights into the Headlines Readers Click – Nathan Safran analyzes relevant statistics and data to establish what gets people clicking.
40. 10 questions to help you write better headlines – 10 things every copywriter should ask himself before his content goes live.
Writing CTAs (Call-To-Actions)
41. How to Write Call-to-Action Copy That Gets Visitors Clicking – HubSpotter Maggie Georgieva provides 5 tips on writing compelling call-to-action copy.
42. The A/B Test That Improved Call-to-Action CTR by 211% – Tony Mariotti of Friendbuy reveals how they boosted conversions significantly with one copywriting tweak.
43. The Complete Checklist for Creating Compelling Calls-to-Action – Ginny Soskey’s checklist contains the 11 essential elements of an effective CTA.
44. 6 Proven Ways to Boost the Conversion Rates of Your Call-to-Action Buttons – Are your CTA buttons getting clicks? Apply these tried and tested techniques.
45. [Case Studies] How Failed A/B Tests Can Increase Conversion Rates – When it comes to A/B testing, not all negative results are negative. Michael Aagaard elaborates.
46. What Makes a Great CTA? – To improve conversions, one must know what a winning call-to-action looks like. This post contains 10 good examples with test ideas.
47. High-impact Button Copy – How to write calls-to-action that convert – This 6-minute video shows you how to write tempting copy for your buttons.
48. How To Write A Great Blog Post With A Lasting Impact – Annie Zelm provides great tips for writing blog post with a lasting impact.
49. The Definitive Guide to Crafting Winning Calls to Action in Your Content – A nice thorough article for those not especially versed in CTAs and CTA writing.
50. 6 Factors of Call-To-Action Button Design – Copywriting and design go hand in hand, so you may find this useful. Stephanie Hamilton takes you through the basics of CTA design.
51. Breakthrough Copywriting: How To Generate Quick Cash With The Written Word – David Garfinkel reveals insider secrets and shows you how to turn words into wealth.
52. The Art of Explanation: Making your Ideas, Products, and Services Easier to Understand – When buyers don’t understand your ideas and products, become an “explanation specialist.”
53. The Copywriter’s Handbook, Third Edition: A Step-By-Step Guide To Writing Copy That Sells – Copywriting, step by step. It’s aimed at beginners, but even pros can learn a thing or two.
54. Tested Advertising Methods – If you’re a small business, this informative classic is a must and will show you how to write persuasive ad copy and headlines.
55. How to Write a Good Advertisement – Direct marketing copywriter Victor Schwab was considered a “marketing master” in his day. Let him show you how to write copy.
56. Breakthrough Advertising – A rather pricey book that covers the more advanced aspects of advertising, marketing, and copywriting. Get this one once you have mastered the basics.
57. Copywriter’s Crib Sheet – 40 Proven and Tested Copywriting Secrets You can use in Your Ads Today and See Results in Your Bank Account Tomorrow – The title says it all. It’s a crib sheet!
58. SEO Copywriting Flow: Creating a Steady Stream of Rankings & Conversions – Search engines can get valuable prospects to your copy – if you know how to write for them.
59. The Web Copywriting Bible – A great book if you want to learn how to make people buy from you.
60. 70 SECRETS REVEALED: How To Write Content That Converts 600% More – If you have a website and sell something, these secrets will boost your conversions.
61. Kopywriting Kourse – A 4-part “kourse” that runs through all the basics of copywriting and teaches you to write stuff that sells, from emails to web content.
62. How to Write Copy for Startups – 4 value-packed e-books that have helped the likes of Quick Sprout, Crazy Egg, Shopify, and many others write better copy.
63. Conversion Copywriting Course – Once you’ve gone through the Copy Hackers books, this 10-week course expands on the material and lets you conquer copywriting.
64. Fired Up & Focused Optimization Bootcamp – The online bootcamp promises to improve your conversion funnel and whip your site into shape in under a month.
65. CopyHour – Have a free hour in your day? Spend it copying (by hand) web copy, advertisements, and headlines written by the best in the business.
66. AWAI’s Accelerated Program for Six-Figure Copywriting – If you’re interested in learning long form and promo letter copywriting, this is the program for you.
67. Advertising, Marketing and Sales Writing – A course aimed at sales and marketing professionals who want to land and close more sales using the written word.
68. How to Create Advertising Campaigns that Make Men Do What You Want – A 90-minute how-to webinar presented by AdCracker.com’s Steve McNamara.
69. Customer Carewords: Words on the Web that Make the Sale – This webinar by Gerry McGovern, among other things, teaches you to use search words and “customer carewords” effectively.
70. John Carlton’s Simple Writing System – Learn to write like a pro using the system of a copywriting pro. A home study course for entrepreneurs and small business owners.
72. Emotioneering Your Messaging: 4 Steps for Inspiring Action – Break through buying resistance by appealing to buyer emotions. Here’s a 4-step process.
73. 2 Secrets to Copy that Grabs Them by the – Well, you know. Learn 2 very important copywriting secrets that will have you “moving the needle.”
74. 2 Steps to Beating Buyer Procrastination – There are usually two reasons why buyers hold off buying products. Discover what they are and how to overcome them.
75. How To Play With People’s Minds To Get Them To Do Things Against Their Will – John Forde reveals 5 shocking ways to influence a buyer – also based on the writings of Dr. Cialdini.
76. Behavioural Economics – Mind Tricks You Can Use in Your Copywriting – Matt Ambrose shows you how to weave behavioral economics into copywriting.
77. Measure Macro AND Micro Conversions – Avinash Kaushik highlights the benefits of measuring micro-conversions and looks at a few examples.
Are there any resources not mentioned here that have had an impact on your copywriting and conversions? Help me make this a great list by sharing in the comments.