If you want to be competitive as a copywriter, your work needs to be optimized for SEO. What is the point of writing an amazing and compelling article if people can't find it on the web?
92% of marketers say that content creation is very effective for SEO. It is definitely effective, but only if you know how to create content that’s perfectly optimized for the latest rules of SEO.
If you are a newbie to the world of SEO copywriting, this is a must-read list. If you are a professional at SEO copywriting, I’m sure you will still discover new tips and information for yourself.
Section 1: An Introduction to SEO Copywriting
1. What Is SEO?
Hubspot does a great job explaining what SEO really is. If you don't have a clue about SEO copywriting this is the best place to start your journey.
2. What Is Search Engine Optimization / SEO
This video explains the formula behind Google and Bing’s search algorithm. It’s a great starting place for a budding SEO copywriter. It’s short, interesting, and straight to the point.
3. 8 First Step SEO Tips for Bloggers
Marketing thought leader Darren Rowse offers a very nice introduction to SEO copywriting for novices. Adopting these eight simple tips is all it takes to get started benefiting from SEO copywriting.
4. SEO 101: Everything You Need to Know About SEO (But Were Afraid to Ask)
This search engine guide covers 4 benefits of SEO. As a professional copywriter, you need to know everything in this offering. You’ll learn how great optimization can bring even better results.
5. Answers to 18 SEO Questions You Were Too Afraid to Ask
Some of these questions are pretty simple, but still cause an incredible amount of confusion. I’d recommend you check yourself twice.
6. A guide to SEO & Keyword Optimization for Blog Posts
This guide explains five simple steps to successfully optimize your content for SEO.
7. A Simple Step by Step Guide to SEO
In this article, special attention is paid to the on-site SEO basics. All of the latest on-page SEO optimization tactics are explained very well. It’s golden material for a copywriter.
Section 2: Keywords
Keywords have a humongous effect on your SEO copywriting. Keyword research is the foundation for content that is optimized for search engines. You have to know how to write high quality content that is both compelling to read and SEO friendly at the same time.
8. What are Keywords?
To master SEO copywriting you must have a great understanding of what keywords really are.
9. Back to Fundamentals: 6 Untapped Keyword Sources that Will Boost Organic Traffic
There is no better place to learn SEO copywriting than the MOZ blog. You’ll find this is a very interesting introduction to some secret resources for keywords.
10. Introduction to Keyword Mapping for Content Marketers
Haven’t got an idea about where to start with keyword mapping? Change it by reading this fantastic introductory article.
11. Copyblogger's Keyword Research Ebooks
A true content marketing giant created several eBooks about keyword research. Don’t miss this unbelievable opportunity to learn from one of the best in the industry.
12. The Expert's Guide to Keyword Research for SEO Copywriting
There is no doubt that keyword research is fundamental to well-optimized SEO copy. This free guide is fully dedicated to comprehensively teaching keyword research.
13. The 3-Step Process to Creating an Effective and Profitable Keyword Plan
The co-founder of Crazy Egg, Hello Bar and KISSmetrics made creating results-oriented keyword research a priority for his own marketing. He shares all of his tips here.
14. SEO Copywriting - the truth about keywords.
Do you know the truth about keywords? A web spam team member at Google destroys many harmful myths about keywords.
15. How to Find the Keywords that Work for Your Content Marketing Goals
What are the actual words you should be using as keywords? Do you know? It’s never too late to find out.
Section 3: Meta descriptions
Meta descriptions are designed to tell your readers what your article is all about. Many people visit web pages only because they have compelling and engaging meta descriptions. Some of the most successful copywriters are crafting epic meta descriptions and so should you!
16. Meta Descriptions from Moz.com
Here’s another masterpiece by Moz. This is a compelling article that points out the key reasons why you should write meta descriptions.
17. How to Write a Meta Description That Gets ClickedDo you want to write a meta description that will be a click-magnet? Here is the right place to learn how to do it.
18. SEO: 6 Ways to Craft Better Meta Descriptions That Rock The SERPs
This list includes six simple ways to improve your meta descriptions by marketer Frank Isca. You’ll be shocked at how easy it is to write meta descriptions with Isca’s proven method.
19. Social Media Meta Tags: How to Use Open Graph and Cards
Neil Patel from Quicksprout did a great job explaining the role of meta tags in social media. If you’ll be doing social media marketing, this is a mandatory read.
20. SEO Copywriting Tips: How To Write Effective Meta Descriptions
How long should a meta description be? How should you sum up your entire business in just a few characters? These questions and many more are answered in this resource.
21. Meta Description Magic: Think Less about SEO & More about Click-Throughs
Abracadabra! Just kidding, there is no actual magic involved. You can use these SEO tricks without wearing your wizard hat.
22. Copywriting Tricks to Turbocharge Your Meta Data For Conversions
Meta data can put the skills of even an experienced copywriter to the test. Here, Rachel Mccombie shares some tips on how to work with meta data.Make sure you are ready for the challenge!
23. How to Write an Effective Meta Description (Yes, They Still Matter)
Do they actually matter? I think they do, and Ramesh Ranjan from Hubspot agrees wholeheartedly.
24. How To Write Effective And Engaging Meta Descriptions
Find out about the four primary keys to a great meta description and many more in this impressive article. Even more importantly, learn what happens if you don’t write a meta description at all.
25. How to Write a Killer Meta Description
Are your meta descriptions mediocre, or are they off-the-charts awesome? This resource can put you into the latter category.
26. 33 Examples of Great Meta Descriptions for Search
Isn’t it great when theoretical material is strengthened by effective and clear examples? You’ll learn loads from these 33 resources.
Section 4: Optimizing Blog Titles
Did you ever think about optimizing your headlines? While it’s very important to write compelling and engaging headlines, there is actually a bit more to it. By optimizing your blog titles for SEO, you can earn plenty of the right website visitors.
27. A Practical System For Writing Snappy Headlines That Grow Traffic, Every Time
Some people think that headlines should be written not only for people, but for search engines too. Some firmly disagree. What’s your standpoint? Check out what these experts have to say on the topic.
28. How to Write Sassy SEO Titles that Go Viral
Want to learn how to write sassy SEO-optimized titles? After reading this article I’m sure you will understand how to interest the reader with your headlines.
29. How to Write Headlines Google Will Love & You and I Will Click, Read, and Share
This is a very clever guide on how to avoid copywriting mistakes and write only the best SEO optimized headlines on the block.
30. Are Your Blog Post Titles Optimized for Readers and Search Engines?
You probably think that your titles are perfectly optimized for SEO. But are they really? Better read the article and find out the difference.
31. How to Optimize Your Headlines for Google and Humans
It seems like there’s always been a battle between search engines and humans. But who should you strive to please? Is it possible to satisfy both? Find out now!
32. 5 Tips To Writing Irresistibly Clickable Blog Titles
This article has some of the best tips combined to help you master SEO title writing. It’s time to make your headlines irresistibly clickable!
33. Do Keywords in Post Titles Really Matter?
It’s often believed that keywords are the most important aspect of an optimized title. Copyblogger may blast this myth into oblivion . Find out why here.
34. How To Craft Kick-Ass Title Tags & Headlines
The SEO experts at Seobook did some research on crafting amazing headlines.
Find out why they think that blog titles are more important than ever.
Section 5: Optimizing images
Every marketer should learn why and how to optimize their images. Search engines have a huge number of ranking factors for images. But not only is image optimization fairly important for search results, it’s also very helpful for your readers.
35. Is Optimizing Photos More Important Than You Think?
How important is image optimization? Should you spend time on it? Answers to these and many other questions are right here.
37. 6 Ways to Generate More Traffic out of Your Images
There’s no question that site traffic is important. Find out how to squeeze as much traffic as you can from your images.
38. Google's New SEO Friendly Image Format: 6 Things You Should Know
Google is known for setting trends and defining the rules of SEO. Check out how to take advantage of their new image search format to benefit your site’s SEO rankings.
39. How to Optimize Images for Better Search Engine Rankings
All you have to do is size, crop and upload an image, right ? Actually, there’s more to it than that if you want to earn top search engine rankings. Learn from Neil Patel’s own research on proper image optimization in this article.
40. 10 Must Know Image Optimization Tips
Mark Hayes does a truly exceptional job explaining image optimization. The biggest benefit of this resource is that everything is illustrated with clear and informative examples.
41. How to Optimize Your Images For SEO
This blog post is an extensively researched and well written resource to give copywriters a deeper knowledge of SEO copywriting.
42. A Guide to Finding and Optimizing Images for Blog Posts
Not only does this guide include information about searching for quality images but it also contains tips on successfully optimizing them. It’s an example of the Writtent blog at its finest.
Section 6: Unknown secrets of SEO copywriting
I decided to finish off my list of top resources by sharing some fascinating and captivating articles about the art of SEO copywriting.
43. 35 SEO Copywriting Tips for Rocking Content
Nelson Dias, an experienced SEO expert and copywriter, shares his own closely guarded secrets for creating rocking content.
44. SEO Copywriting: 25 Best Practices for 2014
You always have to be up-to-date with your information. Find out what changes the year 2014 brought to SEO copywriting.
45. How to Create Compelling Content That Ranks Well in Search Engines
This is SEO copywriting made easy. Copyblogger is always really effective at explaining difficult concepts in a simple way.
46. Keyword Research and Targeting Without Exact Match
Google's recent removal of exact-match keyword targeting from AdWords has sparked a lot of attention and debate lately. You should make sure that you don’t miss this sharp analysis of the topic
47. Using Modern SEO to Build Brand Authority
MOZ explains that success of your brand depends on your content, and more importantly, what others say about your content. This article is definitely worth reading.
48. Copywriting Tips for Writing Impactful Content
As all content marketers know, success is all about making an impact. Samantha Winchell has some fresh thoughts on success and SEO copywriting.
49. 6 Killer Copywriting Tips From @Copyblogger
SEO copywriting tips and common mistakes are explained in a video by one of the best known copywriting professionals, Brian Clark.
50. 13 Essential Copywriting Tips to Help You Rank in Search in 2014
Here are thirteen, fresh, original copywriting tips gathered in just one infographic. Don’t miss this opportunity to get your content to the top of search results.
51. The 7 Sins of SEO Copywriting
How innocent are you of these sins as a SEO copywriter? Test yourself and find out what you have to work on in the future.
52. Ten SEO Copywriting Tools That Every Copywriter Needs
All ten of these tools can greatly influence your productivity. How much more could you accomplish if you adopted all of them?
53. How to Easily Optimize Your Blog Posts for SEO
What counts and what doesn’t? This article contains only the best optimization tips from Jasmine Henry.
54. The Periodic Table of SEO Success Factors
Can you combine SEO copywriting and chemistry principles? You bet you can!
55. 20 Copywriting Blind Spots All Web Writers Should Avoid
We all suffer from copywriting blind spots. These mistakes can have a huge impact on your SEO. Why are you still here? Go and check them out!
56. 5 SEO Techniques You Should Stop Using Immediately
Make sure that you are not making these mistakes! Clumsy attempts at SEO copywriting can be extremely harmful to your site’s health and rankings.
57. 17 SEO Myths You Should Leave Behind in 2014
The realm of SEO copywriting changes every day. As 2014 draws to a close, some things that used to be facts are quickly becoming myths.
58. SEO for WordPress Blogs: Getting the Basics Right
Every experienced copywriter knows how to use WordPress. But does every copywriter know how to use WordPress for SEO?
What resources helped you grow as a SEO copywriter? Make this list even better by sharing with me in the comments!