Covering everything from the top tips and common myths to the best resources and formulas, this ultimate guide to copywriting will make it easy for you to find the answers to your copywriting questions—all in just one place!
Whether you’re a beginner wanting to learn more, or a copywriter looking to refresh their skills, this guide is for you.
This comprehensive collection of copywriting resources includes 10 chapters, with each one including links to resources that will help improve your copywriting skills and offer simple, practical steps to do so.
There's even a bonus chapter at the end.
So, without any further delay, check out the guide below!
Introducing Copywriting: The Ultimate Guide
It's completely up to you how you use this guide. You can start with Chapter 1 and work your way down, or just click whichever one you're most interested in and the link will take you straight to that chapter.
- Chapter 1: What Exactly is Copywriting? (and What Do I Need To Know Before I Start?)
- Chapter 2: Common Myths About Copywriters
- Chapter 3: Copywriting, Content Writing, Content Marketing: Is There a Difference?
- Chapter 4: The Fundamentals of Copywriting
- Chapter 5: Direct Response Copywriting
- Chapter 6: Copywriting Tools
- Chapter 7: Top Tips on How to Write Effective Copy
- Chapter 8: Copywriting Formulas and Cheat Sheets: Simple Steps to Get More Readers
- Chapter 9: The Best Copywriting Resources
- Chapter 10: Copywriting Case Studies: Success Stories
- Bonus Chapter: More Tips and Research
Chapter 1: What Exactly is Copywriting? (and What Do I Need To Know Before I Start?)
Are you new to copywriting? Are you not entirely sure what copywriting actually is? Don't worry. This is the perfect chapter for you to start with.
Put simply, copywriting is writing content that sells—whether it be an idea, product, or service—and that persuades the reader to take action (e.g., advertisements, blogs, websites, emails, brochures, etc.). It requires specific knowledge and skills that not every writer has, but that can be learnt—which you will learn more about in the later chapters.
By the end of this chapter, you will have a better idea of what copywriting is, the different types of copywriting there are, and what to expect if you decide to pursue it further.
Here are some great beginner resources to get you started:
- 5 Things You Need To Know About Copywriting | Writtent
- Career Advice For Writers: How To Become A Copywriter | Writtent
- 10 Things Epic Copywriters Do | Writtent
- 5 Factors That Distinguish Great Copywriters | Writtent
- 7 Reasons Why Copywriters Must Be Shameless | Writtent
- What Does A Copywriter Do? | Express Writers
- How To Become A Copywriter | Copify
- The Types Of Copywriter And Copywriting | ABC Copywriting
- What Types Of Copywriting Can I Do? | The Writers Bureau
- Choosing Your Niche: A No-Stress Perspective | Andrea Emerson
Chapter 2: Common Myths About Copywriters
Don't believe everything you hear about copywriting.
If you're new to copywriting, you may have heard things about copywriters that aren't true. This chapter will clear that up, explaining away some common myths. I'm sure you'll be happy to find this out now, rather than later.
- 7 Myths You Believe About Freelance Copywriters | Writtent
- 5 Myths About Copywriters You Believe | Writtent
- 5 Myths About Copywriting | Writtent
- Busting The 4 Most Common Copywriting Myths | Blogtrepreneur
- Common Myths That Prevent You From Hiring The Best Copywriter For Your Business | Proprcopy
Chapter 3: Copywriting, Content Writing, Content Marketing: Is there a difference?
Copywriting. Content writing. Content marketing.
They might seem similar, but don't confuse one for the other. Copyright is another one that people tend to confuse with copywriting.
Yes, there is definitely a difference between all of these, and these resources will explain why.
- What's The Difference Between Content Marketing And Copywriting? | Copyblogger
- Content Writer Vs Copywriter: What's The Difference? | Koozai
Chapter 4: The Fundamentals of Copywriting
Now that you know a bit more about copywriting, you're probably keen to get started and try your hand at some actual copywriting. This chapter covers the fundamentals of copywriting, including tips for beginners that are easy to follow and form a good foundation to build on later (check out Chapter 6 for more tips).
- Basic Copywriting Tips For Beginners | Copywriting Consulting
- The 10 Commandments Of Great Copywriting | Entrepreneur
- The Fundamentals Of Persuasive Writing | Robert W. Bly
- Write Now: Beginner Copywriting Tips For Effective Online Marketing | Social Media Today
- 10 Ways To Write Damn Good Copy | Copyblogger
Chapter 5: Direct Response Copywriting
In this chapter, you will learn about direct response copywriting.
- 5 Things To Learn From Direct-Response Copywriters | The Daily Egg
- 8 Direct Response Copywriting Examples That Immediately Converted Customers | Just Jason James
- Direct Response Copywriting: 13 Formats Proven To Create Winning Campaigns | Kathryn Aragon Media
Chapter 6: Copywriting Tools
When creating copy, as with when creating anything, having the right tools is incredibly important. Of course, that doesn’t mean you should use every copywriting tool that you can find.
Ask yourself: Do I really need this tool? Will it help improve my copywriting?
Check out the copywriting tools in this chapter, try a few to test them out, then choose the ones that work best for you.
- 15 Must-Have Tools For Professional Copywriters | Writtent
- 33 Software Tools For Freelance Copywriter | Divine Write
- Copywriting Tools From A Pro Copywriter | Good Funnel
Chapter 7: Top Tips on How to Write Effective Copy
When writing, you must always consider who you are writing for, and copywriting is no different.
So, the resources in this chapter have been divided into sub-categories to make it easier for you to find what you need. They include some great tips, book recommendations, and infographics. Read them all, or just go through the ones that are in the area you are most interested in.
- 35 Copywriting Tips & Tricks From The Pros | Writtent
- 25 Copywriting Secrets From Literary Masters | Writtent
- 11 Copywriting Tips & Hacks For Appealing Content | Writtent
- 7 Scientifically-Backed Copywriting Tips | Copyblogger
- 7 Things The Great Copywriters Wish You Knew | Copyblogger
- 25 Best Books To Help You Learn Copywriting | Express Writers
- Persuasive Writing: 4 Copywriting Techniques Swiped From Psychology | Copy Hackers
- Here’s Why It’s So Hard To Write Convincing Copy | Copy Hackers
- 12 Proven Ways Your Copy Can Get More Conversions | Kissmetrics
- 10 Things You Can Learn From Bad Copy | Kissmetrics
- 27+ Resources To Learn SEO Copywriting | Writtent
- 35 SEO Copywriting Tips For Rocking Content | Writtent
- 58+ Resources To Master SEO Copywriting | Writtent
- SEO Copywriting: Made Simple | Copyblogger
- SEO Copywriting: How To Write Content For People And Optimise For Google | Neil Patel
- 16 SEO Copywriting Tips That Will Drive More Traffic To Your Site | Backlinko
- David Ogilvy On Advertising: His 7 Commandments And Quotes All Marketers Must Know | Postcron
- David Ogilvy's 7 Tips For Writing Copy That Sells | Kissmetrics
- Infographic: 101 Commandments of Email Copywriting | Spear Marketing
- How To Write A Marketing Email: 10 Tips For Writing Compelling Email Copy | Hubspot
- Simple But Effective Copywriting Tips For Email Marketing | Bourn Creative
- 7 Steps To Writing A Copy That Sells | Writtent
- 3 Conversion Psychology Principles To Use In Sales Copy | Writtent
- Better Copywriting In Four Minutes For Better Sales | Problogger
- 11 Tips For Effective Website Copywriting | Writtent
Chapter 8: Copywriting Formulas and Cheat Sheets: Simple Steps to Get More Readers
Want easy-to-follow, step-by-step formulas for effective copywriting? Or cheat sheets to help you keep track of what you’ve done and what you can still do to improve your copywriting?
This chapter includes cheat sheets and a variety of formulas that have different results, but are all intended to improve your copywriting. Try them to find the one that best suits you.
- 9 Sure-Fire Copywriting Formulas to Grow Your Audience | Writtent
- The Ultimate Guide To No-Pain Copywriting (Or, Every Copywriting Formular Ever) | Copy Hackers
- The 1-2-3-4 Formula For Persuasive Copy | Copyblogger
- If Don Draper Tweeted: The 27 Copywriting Formulas That Will Drive Clicks and Engagement on Social Media | Buffer
- Free Copywriting Cheat Sheets | Copy Hackers
Chapter 9: The Best Copywriting Resources
You've already gone through some incredibly useful resources, but I highly recommend the ones in this chapter, as they include comprehensive lists of the best copywriting resources—such as the best copywriting books, courses, websites, blogs, articles, and infographics.
With so many to choose from, you're sure to find what you're looking for here.
- 20 Amazing Resources To Learn Copywriting | Writtent
- 29+ Killer Resources To Learn Copywriting | Writtent
- 77+ Resources for Amazing Copywriting | Writtent
- Copywriting Books You Should Buy | Copyblogger
Chapter 10: Copywriting Case Studies: Success Stories
Who doesn't like a success story? If you're going to invest your time and effort into copywriting, you'll want to know that it's going to be worth it in the end.
You're going to want to see some results.
So, why not check out case studies that show the successful results of great copywriting?
- 8 Simple Online Copywriting Case Studies With Examples From Real A/B Tests | Content Verve
- Copywriting Case Studies: Examples of Companies Doing Copywriting Right | Kopywriting Kourse
Bonus Chapter: More Tips and Research
You're almost at the end of this guide!
This bonus chapter includes more tips on writing for the web, including topics such as mistakes you should avoid, actionable writing tips, and how people read online, which will help you better understand the readers that you are writing for.
It also includes some interesting research studies (the last one in the list).
Here they are:
- Mistakes You Make When Writing Content For The Web | Writtent
- 7 Writing Tactics You Are Wasting Your Time On | Writtent
- 11 Actionable Writing Tips [+Examples] | Writtent
- How People Read Online [Infographic] | CMS Wire
- How Users Read On The Web | Nielson Norman Group
- 5 Research Studies that Will Drastically Affect How You Write Copy | Unbounce
Have more resources to add? We'd love to hear them! Please share in the comments below.